Dreamcatchers For Abused Children
August , 2015

Dreamcatchers For Abused Children Store

Report Abuse

Screaming STOP THE ABUSE Found on the netSandra On May - 5 - 2011


PLEASE NOTE! Child abuse cannot be reported here!  This site is for educational purposes; we are an informational portal only to provide resources to obtain help. Please scroll down to find the appropriate child abuse reporting number categorized by states! You do not have to be afraid anyone will find out who made the report because you can report abuse and neglect anonymously.

If you are being abused please contact your local authorities or call 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453). Suspected abuse MUST be reported immediately according to the law. Failure to report suspected child abuse is a crime! 

Reporting Child Abuse

CLICK HERE for your FREE online tutorial on child abuse reporting

The National Child Abuse Hotline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:  1-800-4-A-Child (1-800-422-4453)

For information on how to report child abuse in your state, click on your state from the list below, or scroll down to find your state & child abuse reporting hotline number. For most states, we provide the name of the responsible state agency, the corresponding state statutes, plus agency websites and phone numbers as available.  (READ MORE HERE)

By State:

AK · AL · AR · AZ · CA · CO · CT · DC · DE · FL · GA · HI · IA · ID · IL · IN · KS ·
KY · LA · MA · MD · ME · MI · MN · MO · MS · MT · NC · ND · NE · NH · NJ · NM · NV ·
NY · OH · OK · OR · PA · RI · SC · SD · TN · TX · UT · VA · VT · WA · WI · WV · WY ·


What is child abuse?
Although there are many formal and acceptable definitions of child abuse, the following is offered as a guide for information on child abuse and neglect.

Child abuse consists of any act of commission or omission that endangers or impairs a child’s physical or emotional health and development. Child abuse includes any damage done to a child which cannot be reasonably explained and which is often represented by an injury or series of injuries appearing to be non-accidental in nature.

What do I do if I think someone is abusing a child?

  • DO NOT
    •   Investigate
    •   Ask leading questions
    •   Make promises
    •   Notify the parents or the caretaker
  • DO
    •   Provide a safe environment (be comforting, welcoming, and a good listener).
    •   Tell the child it was not his/her fault
    •    Listen carefully
    •    Document the child’s exact quotes
    •    Be supportive, not judgmental
    •    Know your limits
    •    Tell the truth and make no promises
    •    Ask ONLY four questions
    •    What happened?
    •    Who did this to you?
    •    Where were you when this happened?
    •    When did this happen?
    •    Asking any additional questions may contaminate a case!
  • Report it!
    •    Call your local law enforcement agency
    •    Call your local Child Protective Services Agency
    •    Call the 24-Hour Childhelp® National Child Abuse Hotline

What if a child tells me about abuse?

  1. Remain calm and refrain from expressing shock.
  2. Listen attentively to what the child has to say, but do not solicit details or ask probing questions. It is very important for the professionals to talk to the child and obtain the details of the alleged abuse in the child’s own words.
  3. Speak softly, using simple words and sentences. Use the child’s vocabulary.
  4. Tell the child that you believe him/her and that they did the right thing by telling.
  5. Let the child know that what happened was not the child’s fault, no matter what. Tell the child that he/she did nothing to cause it to happen.
  6. Be careful about overly criticizing the offender. The child might care about that person and only wants the abuse to stop. It might be helpful to explain that the person needs help because what he/she did is “not okay.”
  7. Let the child know that you plan to call some people who will try to help.
What Happens AFTER Abuse Is Reported?
  1. A Department of Human Services (DHS) supervisor screens the report of child abuse to determine whether the allegation meets the statutory definition of abuse and neglect and whether the report falls within DHS’ responsibility.DHS is mandated to investigate allegations of abuse perpetrated by a caretaker. If the alleged abuse is someone other than a caretaker, DHS is required to forward the report to law enforcement.
  2. Next, DHS assigns a child welfare worker who will begin the investigation as soon as possible. If the case involves possible criminal acts, the DHS investigator will contact the appropriate law enforcement agency. DHS and law enforcement will make every attempt to conduct a joint investigation.
  3. The investigators who are assigned to the case may choose to utilize CAN’s services at the Justice Center. The Child Abuse Network brings together medical, mental health, investigative and legal professionals from multiple agencies to determine whether child abuse has occurred. CAN’s centralized approach is designed to provide more efficient, accurate and less traumatic investigation of child abuse.
  4. After the child leaves the Justice Center, the investigators will continue their investigations.
  5. When the investigation is completed, the investigators submit their findings and recommendations to the District Attorney’s Office. The DHS child welfare caseworker will submit his/her report to the Juvenile Division of the District Attorney’s Office and the detective will submit his/her report to the Criminal Division of the District Attorney’s Office.

State law requires EVERY PERSON who has reason to believe that a child under 18 is a victim of abuse to report the suspicion of abuse immediately to the Department of Human Services (DHS).


Child Protective Services hasn’t done anything — Why?
Child Protective Services (CPS) is a program mandated by individual states for the protection of children who are alleged to be abused or neglected.  The function of this program is to screen and investigate allegations, perform assessments of the children’s safety and risk of harm, and evaluate the conditions that support or refute the allegations and need for intervention.  The program may provide stabilization services for families to reduce risk factors. CPS does not necessarily remove a child in all allegations. Many allegations do not result in intervention.  For example, in 2005, an estimated 3.6 million children received a CPS investigation; however only 899,000 were substantiated cases. For more information, contact your local Child Protective Services (or) the 24-Hour Childhelp® National Child Abuse Hotline



Age-appropriate guidelines for children to be left home alone

Child neglect reports alleging inadequate supervision may be accepted for a child protection response, including:

  • children age 7 and younger who are left alone for any period of time;
  • children ages 8-10 who are left alone for more than three hours;
  • children ages 11-13 who are left alone for more than 12 hours;
  • children ages 14-15 who are left alone for more than 24 hours;
  • children ages 16-17 may be left alone for more than 24 hours with a plan in place concerning how to respond to an emergency.

Neglect reports alleging inadequate child care arrangements may be accepted for a child protection response according to the following guidelines:

  • children younger than age 11 should not provide child care (babysitting);
  • children ages 11-15 who are placed in a child care role are subject to the same time restrictions of being left alone as listed above;
  • children ages 16-17 may be left alone for more than 24 hours with adequate adult back-up supervision.

These supervision guidelines are provided as a basic framework only. Each case is evaluated individually based on age and the ability of the child to respond appropriately in both routine and emergency situations.


Other Reporting

Each State has a system to receive and respond to reports of possible child abuse and neglect. Professionals and concerned citizens can call statewide hotlines, local child protective services, or law enforcement agencies to share their concerns.

SOURCE: http://www.childwelfare.gov/responding/reporting.cfm

How to Report Violations of:

Child Custody and Visitation

Child Pornography

Child Sexual Abuse

Child Support Enforcement

Extraterritorial Sexual Exploitation of Children

International Parental Kidnapping


Prostitution of Children

Sex Offender Registration

Phone: 800.4.A.CHILD (800.422.4453)
Who They Help: Child abuse victims, parents, concerned individuals

Stop It Now!
Phone: 888.PREVENT (888.773.8368)
Who They Help: Child sexual abuse victims, parents, offenders, concerned individuals

CyberTipline – NCMEC
Phone: 800-843-5678
To report an incident involving the production, possession, distribution, or receipt of child pornography

National Domestic Violence Hotline
Phone: 800.799.  SAFE (800.799.7233)
Who They Help: Children, parents, friends, offenders

Child Find of America
Phone: 800.I.AM.LOST (800.426.5678)
Who They Help: Parents reporting lost or abducted children

Phone: 800.A.WAY.OUT (800.292.9688)
Who They Help: Parents (abduction, prevention, child custody issues)

Phone: 800.THE.LOST (800.843.5678)
Who They Help: Families and professionals (social services, law enforcement)

Rape and Incest National Network
Phone: 800.656.HOPE; Ext. 1 (800.656.4673; Ext. 1)
Who They Help: Rape and incest victims, media, policy makers, concerned individuals

National Runaway Switchboard
Phone: 800.786.2929 (800.RUNAWAY)
Who They Help: Runaway and homeless youth, families

National Center for Victims of Crime
Phone: 800.FYI.CALL (800.394.2255)
Who They Help: Families, communities, and individuals harmed by crime




Alaska – 800-478-4444 (in state, 24 hours)

Alabama Dept. of Human Resources 334 242-9500

Arizona – 888-767-2445 (nationwide, 24 hours)

Arkansas – 800-482-5964 (nationwide, 24 hours)

California – 916-445-2771–report by county

Colorado – 303-727-3000 (in state, 24 hours)

Connecticut – 800-842-2288 (nationwide)

Delaware – 800-292-9582 (in state, 24 hours)

302-577-6550 (out of state, 24 hours)

District of Columbia – 877-671-SAFE (877-671-7233)

Florida – 800-962-2873 (nationwide, 24 hours)

Georgia – 404-657-3408–report by county

Hawaii – 808-832-5300 (24 hours)

808-832-5300 (Oahu, 24 hours)

Idaho – For info and referral to regional office: 208-334-0808

Illinois – 800-252-2873 (in state, 24 hours)

217-785-4010 (out of state, 8AM-5PM)

Indiana – 800-562-2407–report by county

Iowa – 800-362-2178 (nationwide, 24 hours)

Kansas – 800-922-5330 (in state, 24 hours)

785-296-0044 (out of state)

Kentucky – 800-752-6200 (in state, 24 hours)

502-595-4550 (out of state, 24 hours)

Louisiana – 504 925-4571 (in state, 24 hours)

225-342-6832 (out of state, during business hours)

Maine – 800-452-1999 (nationwide, 24 hours)

Maryland – 800-332-6347 (nationwide, 8AM-5PM)

Massachusetts – 617-566-0858 (out of state, 24-hours)

800-792-5200 (in state, 24 hours)

Michigan – 1-855-444-3911 (in state, 24 hours)

Minnesota – report by county

Mississippi – 800-222-8000 (in state, 24 hours)

601-359-4991 (out of state, 24 hours)

Missouri – 800-392-3738 (in state, 24 hours)

573-751-3448 (out of state, 24 hours)

Montana – 866-820-5437 or 800-332-6100 (nationwide, 24 hours)

Nebraska – 800-652-1999 or 800-471-5128 (in state, 24 hours)

402-595-1324 (out of state, 24 hours)

Nevada – 800-992-5757 (in state, 24 hours)

775-684-4400 (out of state, during business hours)

New Hampshire – 800-894-5533 (in state)

800-852-3388 (in state, after hours)

603-271-6563 (out of state)

603-225-9000 (out of state, after hours)

New Jersey – 800-792-8610 (nationwide, 24 hours)

New Mexico – 800-797-3260 or 800-432-2075 (nationwide, 24 hours)

New York – 800-342-3720 (in state, 24 hours)

518-474-8740 (out of state, 24 hours)

North Carolina – 800-662-7030 (in state, 24 hours)

North Dakota – 701-328-2316 (out of state, 8AM – 5PM)

800-245-3736 (in state, 8AM – 5PM)

Ohio – Dept. of Human Services Child Protective 614-466-0995

Oklahoma – 800-522-3511 (in state, 24 hours)

out of state, report by county

Oregon – 800-854-3508 (nationwide, 8AM – 5PM)

Pennsylvania – 800-932-0313 (in state, 24 hours)

717-783-8744 (out of state, 24 hours)

Puerto Rico – 800-981-8333 (24 hr. hotline)

Rhode Island – 800-RI-CHILD ( 800-742-4453) (nationwide, 24 hours)

South Carolina – report by county (in state)

803-898-7318 (out of state, 8AM – 5PM)

South Dakota – 605-773-3227 (nationwide, 8AM-5PM)

Tennessee – 877-237-0004 (nationwide, 24 hours)

Texas – 800-252-5400 (in state, 24 hours)

512-834-3784 (out of state, 24 hours)

Utah – 855-323-DCFS (3237)

Vermont – Dept. of Social Services 802-241-2131–report by county

Virginia – 800-552-7096 (in state, 24 hours)

804-786-8536 (out of state, 24 hours)

Washington – 800-562-5624 (nationwide, 24 hours)

West Virginia – 800-352-6513 (nationwide, 24 hours)

Wisconsin – Dept. of Health and Social Services 608-266-3036–report by county

Wyoming In-State Reporting: 307-777-7922


3 Responses

  1. S. Fanara Says:

    Please this guy and all those supporting such system MUST BE STOPPED! https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=117509268334215

    Posted on May 29th, 2011 at 6:35 am

  2. Anne Says:

    Photographer Jock Sturges should be investigated. His whole portofolio has teenagers and children nude…. This is an abuse and child pornography not art!!!

    Website: http://photography-now.net/listings/index.php?option=com_alphacontent&section=29&sort=1&Itemid=293&limit=50&limitstart=50

    Sturges Jock
    Artists / United States
    View Portfolio Jock Sturges American, born 1947 Jock Sturges has long been a lightning rod for controversy for his distinctive brand of nude photography. Sturges shoots much of his work around nudist beaches in France and northern California, and his most frequent subjects have been adolescent girls. The photos have an undeniably erotic quality, unlike some types of nude photography that treat the human body more as abstract form….

    Posted on April 21st, 2012 at 10:35 pm

  3. Eve Says:

    this is a video posted on FB. Not much is shared but if someone could track where the video came from … this monster must be stopped! Please, please, please do what you can. I am speechless. I can’t even put into words what happens in that video. Please let me know if anything was done. I don’t know where the video originated but I see it is posted on Facebook to a page – ItsMeSaiful

    Posted on May 9th, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Speed Connect

Recent Comments

OUR MISSION: To educate the public on child abuse signs & symptoms, statistics, intervention, reporting, prevention & assist victims & survivors in locating the proper resources necessary to enable & achieve a full recovery.

Recent Comments

Man Filmed Rape Of 11-MO Baby

On Sep-21-2011
Reported by Sandra

2,000 Abuse Cases Filed Against Church

On Dec-12-2010
Reported by Sandra

Convicted Child Sex Offender with Dementia Missing

On Mar-19-2012
Reported by Sandra

MI Amber Alert: 3 Children

On Nov-29-2010
Reported by Sandra
Copy Protected by Chetan's WP-Copyprotect.